Join Our Family - Sales and Customer Service Specialist
Job Title: Sales and Customer Service Specialist
Reports to: Martin Martinez
Pay Rate: $14 - $16
Promotional Opportunity: Showroom Manager (Pay Rate: $16 - $18)
Effective Date: 05/11/2018
Part Time ( ) Full time (X)
Orox Leather Co is a fourth-generation, family-owned business that makes beautiful, hand-crafted, durable leather goods. We value community, craftsmanship, and passion. And we want you to join our team!
The Sales and Customer Service Specialist is an energetic professional who will represent our multigenerational family brand to anyone that comes to our shop or events. They will inspire customers by sharing details about all our product line and its features, family history, and material sources. The ideal candidate is someone who can warmly provide exceptional customer service in a variety of settings for our business, and is adaptable to a highly dynamic environment.
- Engage with and treat customers like like family, introducing them to the brand’s history, products, and features. Create compelling conversations with people that come into our shop, and pair them with an Orox product while developing long lasting relationships with customers.
- Manage storefront, merchandise, inventory and displays. Keep fixtures well-stocked with product and looking at its best. Work to keep the shop beautiful, tidy, and organized. Participate in store opening and closing duties, per schedule.
- Act as the initial representative of the Orox brand through phone and internet queries. Handle online queries and sales, including the process of shipping online orders.
- Manage and meet daily, weekly, and monthly sales goals and gather customer data.
- Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Orox Leather Co. management, staff, vendors, subcontractors and others in order to contribute to the smooth flow of information, ongoing development of business relationships and efficient operation of the organization.
Key Competencies include:
- Capability to communicate brand/products effectively and clearly through multiple mediums (in store, at events, over the phone, online)
- Highly organized, collaborative, proactive, self-starter, and team player with a love of continually improving the processes around you.
- Communication and Emotional Intelligence: Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, coupled with strong empathy for customers and their success. This includes caring for and building up a positive co-worker/ team dynamic as well.
- Possess solid knowledge of the following: Retail sales, fashion, merchandising and strong sense of aesthetics.
- Tech savvy, or highly capable of training for the use of digital POS systems, shipping software, Microsoft programs, electronics, and the internet.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English; Ability to understand and speak Spanish is helpful.
- Quick learner, able to conceptualize complete processes, both physical and abstract.
- Adaptable to working efficiently both individually or with a team; switches tasks & roles easily. Must be flexible- this work environment is very dynamic!
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Ability to perform repetitive physical work while standing all day, maintaining energy and focus throughout.
- Positive outlook with kind, honest, and respectful attitude toward ALL people you engage with.
- Ability to deal effectively with work and time pressure in the efficient and effective accomplishment of job requirements.
- Manage both internal and external contacts, including customers, vendors, and regional partners, with a focus on service, information exchange, and problem solving, while at times maintaining confidential/sensitive information.
- Craft: Interested in Art, Photography, Craft and Design.
- Community: Strives to be part of the communities in which you work and live.
- Efficiency: loves to discover and fix issues.
- Respect for the Environment: Care deeply about the environment and our impact on it.
- People: plays well with everyone.
- Play: understands that work does not have to be too formal and/or dull.
- Startup: Thrives on the constant challenges presented by being part of a small but growing company.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- College Degree preferred: specializing in marketing, sales, fashion, or design.
- 5 + years of experience in sales, preferably in a retail environment or wholesale manufacturing industry, marketing, design or buying/merchandising roles.
- Enthusiasm for craftsmanship, locally-made products, family-owned businesses, and beautiful, timeless leather products is important.
- Experience using Shopify, Excel, or similar digital management and POS software is a plus.
- Ability to work weekends, some evenings, and holidays.
- Commitment to Orox’s mission and values.
- Physical ability to use telephone, computer hardware/software including keyboard, type, sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Job may require hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week during peak season or rush projects. Position does not involve travel.
- Put the answer to this question in the subject line of your email job application: Where is the Martinez family originally from?
- Work with purpose – join us in creating and sustaining a family-owned, locally-based production company here in Portland.
- Our team really is like a family- we all work in a close-knit and highly collaborative environment.
- Be part of an exciting unique opportunity to develop our up and coming brand.
- Promotion Opportunity to Showroom Manager.
- Our shop is located in the heart of downtown/ Old Town- steps away from the waterfront, and so many awesome downtown amenities.
- Trimet HOP transportation pass given to all employees.
- Indoor, on-site bike storage.
- Paid holidays and paid sick time.
Orox is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Orox is an equal opportunity employer; committed to a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
To apply, send us an introductory email to email@example.com and include your cover letter and resume.